Monday, July 20, 2009

Edmodo and More...

In a recent blog post by, So You Want to Teach, was a list of 25 free web apps for tech loving teacher. In that list was a website called Edmodo. http://www.edmodo.com

It kind of reminds me of facebook but for teacher, student, parent communication. You can post important dates, send out messages to everyone or individuals, enter grades, write down assignments, attach files (which may be good for those who also need an extra copy, they now would have a place to get it).

Each student/parent creates their own username. They don't have to even supply an email address or information to sign up. Just a first, last name and create a username and password. Each class has their own code and students cannot sign up unless they have that code.

I think I like it because students can go on and ask each other for help or parents can communicate with each other and I can respond back. I'm going to test run it for next year, see how it works, if parents/students like or use it.

*****So on a personal note... I have become a foster failure!!!! This summer I was really looking forward to fostering puppies. I usually only like to do very young puppies. Well I get a call, they said they have a young puppy, Chihuahua Dachshund, would I like to foster? Yes! I go to pick up the dog, it's not a puppy, but rather between 8-12 months. I take him home, first adoption show, he has someone interested in him. I call to set up a time for the adoption, they changed their mind. Meanwhile, he is so damn cute and adorable, very well behaved, and was instantly best friends with my own dog. You know what this means...

Take him to the adoption show yesterday, my mom comes along with me, about twenty minutes in I start crying in the middle of the store, I had to leave, I couldn't stand people looking at him. I left him with my mom, said my goodbyes to him (betting on he would get adopted). I cried the whole 30 mins home! It was a like a death in the family! I get a call a couple hours later, the two separate people interested in him never showed, he was coming home!!! He came home, I cried some more, and then had to make the decision to become a foster failure! I think he has found his forever home! Here he is....

I named him Cooper. He is a little thing still, only 12 pounds, a little skinny right now. I wasn't looking for him, he found me. The one pic is of him with my other dog Coco, who is a Chug (chihuahua pug).









2 comments:

Jeff O'Hara said...

Just wanted to say thank you giving Edmodo a shot this upcoming school year with your students. More importantly, I love your writing about your foster failure. Such a happy ending.

-Jeff O'Hara
Co-Founder - Edmodo.com

ChiTown Girl said...

Thanks for introducing me to Edmodo. I can't wait to check it out. And, congratulations on your "foster failure." He's adorable! My brother did the same thing last week, and is now the proud papa of the cutest little pug-mix!