Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Area is Killing Me...

For the past couple weeks I have been teaching area and perimeter of rectangles, parallelograms, and triangles. In my opinion, this is one of the easiest concepts I have taught the whole year. Or so I thought...
After countless practice and me feeling confident that they can do it, I give them the unit test, I let them take detailed notes in their JAM (journal about math)journal and use their notes when taking the test, yes the unit test was a bit more applied, but I prepared them for it, or so I thought again...
Come to see that only 2 kids, count them 2 kids got and A and a B. One A and one B out of 23 kids! YIKES!
So back to the drawing board. Give them more time and practice at finding area and perimeter. Let them study, take some more detailed notes in their JAM journal and then give them an extra credit/makeup quiz. I have not graded them, but just flipping through them, it doesn't look good. It is so obvious that some students didn't study or take notes. Ahh, back to the drawing board, again...

No comments: