Monday, May 10, 2010

A Flash of Thoughts...

You know when they say right before you think your going to die, your life flashes before your eyes?  Well, I had one of those experiences today.  Ok, not the near death experience, but an instant flash of run away thoughts brought on by pure panic.  The whole thing only seriously lasted a couple seconds, but I was amazed as to the amount of thoughts that ran through this brain of mine.

One of my boys was absent today.  It is a weekly or bi-weekly occurrence, so nothing new there.  At the end of the day, bell rang, kids gone, his mom comes to my room.  She does this on occasion, no problem.  She had to ask me a question.

Then she turns to me and says, "So where is he"

Now cue, that thought flash...

Thinking...
-Where, what do you mean where
-Joking right
-What he was absent
-Does she realize this
-Oh god he came to school
-He never made it to school
-Crap he is missing
-How am I going to tell her
-Call the cops

I'm surprise at this point she never noticed the panic stricken look spread across my face as I thought all this and more in less than ten seconds.

She then turns to me, "Where does he sit?"

You got to be kidding me, she meant where is his seat!  I had a small moment of relief as I realized how crazy my brain just went and that she did realize that he wasn't in school but home sick.

Those crazy brains of ours!

No comments: